If you have allergies, you know that you feel absolutely miserable when you’re in the midst of an attack. You’ll suffer symptoms such as sneezing, stuffy nose, itching, and more. The best way to treat allergies is to figure out what is causing them and avoid it.
Find Your Triggers.
First of all, you want to figure out what is triggering your allergies. You can either visit your doctor and get an allergy test or you can- by process of elimination- figure out what your triggers are. Some of the most common allergy triggers are: animals, certain foods, dust mites, medications, mold, and pollen. You want to make sure you identify your allergy triggers as specifically as possible.
Tips to Prevent Allergies:
- If seasonal pollen is one of your triggers, make sure you stay inside as much as possible and keep windows and doors closed. Also, consider installing a filtration or vent system in your home to filter out the pollen.
- Dust mites live in bedding and are one of the most common allergy triggers. Purchase some allergen-proof covers and seal your comforters, pillows, and mattress. Another option is to get a latex mattress- as long as you don’t have a latex allergy.
- Get a dehumidifier if you reside in a climate with high humidity. Mildew, mold, and dust mites survive and thrive best in humid climates.
- In the bathroom, use an exhaust fan or keep a window open.
- Get a vacuum with a HEPA filter and use it often.
- Don’t install carpet, or have any carpet you do have taken out. Dust mites love carpeting and it’s nearly impossible to get them out.
- If you suspect that certain foods are causing your allergies, eliminate them from your diet. If you’re allergic to foods such as milk, corn, or wheat, learn some new ways to cook.
- Saline solution can help to loosen nasal secretions. It is not a medication and can be used as often as you need it.
- Carefully read labels when you’re using an OTC antihistamine. There are many of them that cause drowsiness. You should not drink alcohol when you’re taking them.
If you’re in need of winnipeg home care, contact Drake Medox. They offer in home nursing and home care services winnipeg.